2018 Goals - Week 35 of 52

G and I went on a vacation last week to Montana. It was so beautiful. I loved the open space there. The mountains are tall, the prairie wide and the sky is huge. I think I will write a separate post about the trip in a few days. It's been hard to readjust to the humid NC summers this week.

1. Complete 30 days of yoga. COMPLETE! I followed YouTube channel Yoga with Adriene to complete this goal. True 30 day yoga journey. 30/30 I am thinking about doing a second 30 day yoga session. I miss yoga. I wanted to keep up with it and practice once a week but it hasn't happened this year.

2. Read 20 books. 30/20 COMPLETE! I have hit 30 books over the last 9 months. I am shocked. I really enjoy listening to audio books while I drive, cook and workout. I am glad I discovered them. I still read some on my lunch breaks but there is no way I could physically read this many books in a year.
1. MaddAddam - Margaret Atwood
2. Your Money or Your Life - Vicki Robin
3. The Cold Dish (Longmire Mystery series)- Craig Johnson
4. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman
5. Better Than Before - Gretchen Rubin
6. The Whole30 - Melissa Hartwig
7. Hidden Figures - Margot Lee Shetterly
8. Manhattan Beach - Jennifer Egan
9. Hillbilly Elegy - JD  Vance
10. The Perfect Stranger - Megan Miranda
11. Outliers: A Story of Success - Malcolm Gladwell
12. The Salt Line - Holly Goddard Jones
13. Flat Broke with Two Goats: A Memoir - Jennifer McGaha
14. Endurance - Scott Kelly
15. Counting by 7s - Holly Goldberg Sloan
16. The Great Alone - Kristen Hannah
17. The Genius of Birds - Jennifer Ackerman
18. Into the Water - Paula Hawkins
19. The Nightingale - Kristen Hannah
20. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
21. The Year of Less - Cait Flanders
22. Wicked Plants - Amy Stewart
23. Go Set a Watchman - Harper Lee
24. Marry Him - Lori Gottlieb
25. Stories I Only Tell My Friends - Rob Lowe
26. The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
27. Beartown - Fredrik Backman
28. My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry - Fredrik Backman (LOVED this book!)
29. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman
30. Britt-Marie Was Here - Fredik Backman
Currently reading A Sand County Almanac - Aldo Leopold (I need to finish this book. I usually pick it up and read a few pages at the end of the workday while I wait on the clock.)
Currently reading Us Against You - Fredrik Backman
Currently listening to Educated: A Memoir - Tara Westover
Up Next: Stumbling on Happiness - Daniel Gilbert

3. Visit a National Park. DOUBLE COMPLETE! I visited the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park in July. I also visited Glacier National Park last week! It was fantastic. So much wildlife and scenic beauty.

Bowman Lake, Glacier National Park, Montana

4. Save $2500 for house updates. I need to put $154 into the account every other paycheck (13 times) to make my goal. Once I pay my credit card bill with all my vacation expenses this week I will buckle down and save more.  $2200/$2500

5. Save $1000 towards a new car. I have an automatic draft set up for $50 every month to go into my car savings account. No extra saving, just the automatic draft. $957/$1000

6. Add 3 chicks to my flock. COMPLETE! I have one newbie girl, an Easter Egger, that will be laying soon. She squatted for me and is getting mouthy. I can't wait to see what her egg looks like!

7. Cut back my food budget to $325/month ($3900/year). We left for vacation on Monday so I didn't go to the store Sunday night like normal. I spent $50 at Wal-Mart for camping food. We ate oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, PBJ for lunch and had trail mix, cookies, bananas and chips for snacks. We went out to dinner every night so we spent much more on food than normal. But I am chalking that up to vacation expense. I spent $72 at Aldi for groceries this week. $2758/$3900

8. No buying personal clothing and other items other than the following few items. FAILED $542/$300
Even though I failed this goal, I am happy with my purchases. I will still aim to not spend anymore this year on clothing and other personal items. I will still get a few haircuts and replace anything that becomes ruined.

Here are my estimates on the cost of the items I plan on buying in 2018 and what I really spent:
Hiking shoes $90 $73
Running shoes $60  $30
Mascara $10 $5
Bra $30 $68
Undies $20 $9
Haircuts $90 $36 so far
Not planned:
Work pants $0 $20
Summer tops $0 $40
Prana shorts and two tanks $0 $87
Chacos $0 $110 (old pair destroyed)
2 Brooks sports bras and running shorts $0 $64

9. Complete a third round of Whole30. Be active 3 days a week. So I have decided to nix the Whole30 reboot. I am instead going to make a goal of being active at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes or more.

Last week I exceeded my goal!
Sunday - 20 minute bike ride
Wednesday - 3 hour hike (6 miles)
Thursday - walked around park, unsure on time
Friday - walked around Whitefish, ~1 hour
Saturday - walked around Missoula, ~1 hour

10. Have a better, more efficient garden. I wasn't home to work in the garden.

11. Sell excess produce, honey and eggs at my neighborhood farmers market. And just as I think I'll have extra eggs... the fall molt begins.

12. Be a better beekeeper. I have been a real slacker. It's been well over 2 months. I love the bees but I just can't seem to find time to care for them. I hope they are fending for themselves well enough.

13. Finish a craft project. COMPLETE! Let's see if I can do some more.
I darned one sock.
I sewed a bandanna for my pup Ellie. Then I made a second one for my mom's dog.
I patched a hole in a Smartwool sock that Ellie chewed when she was a pup. 
Painted a mirror frame with chalk paint.

Need to do:
We found three chairs for our mix-match dining room. I need to recover all three and paint one.

Comments

Popular Posts