2018 Goals - Week 21 of 52

I have been feeling like I need to make a change lately. I haven't been saving as much and I've gained some weight. I want to lose 8 pounds over the summer (and keep it off!!!!). I also need to reign in spending. I was excited this morning because I thought I could save $200 for the house but when checking my credit card bill I realized I needed to pay for the vet bill, car taxes and tags and for the new Nest thermostat I bought.

1. Complete 30 days of yoga. COMPLETE! I followed YouTube channel Yoga with Adriene to complete this goal. True 30 day yoga journey. 30/30

2. Read 20 books. 17/20 I've been more into listening to audio books lately than reading paper books. I am busy at work in the greenhouse and I can listen and work at the same time.
1. MaddAddam - Margaret Atwood
2. Your Money or Your Life - Vicki Robin
3. The Cold Dish (Longmire Mystery series)- Craig Johnson
4. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman
5. Better Than Before - Gretchen Rubin
6. The Whole30 - Melissa Hartwig
7. Hidden Figures - Margot Lee Shetterly
8. Manhattan Beach - Jennifer Egan
9. Hillbilly Elegy - JD  Vance
10. The Perfect Stranger - Megan Miranda
11. Outliers: A Story of Success - Malcolm Gladwell
12. The Salt Line - Holly Goddard Jones
13. Flat Broke with Two Goats: A Memoir - Jennifer McGaha
14. Endurance - Scott Kelly
15. Counting by 7s - Holly Goldberg Sloan
16. The Great Alone - Kristen Hannah
17. Into the Water - Paula Hawkins
The Nightingale has been a good listen. I hope I can finish it in 4 days because that's when it expires!

3. Visit a national park. I'm a little disappointed that this probably isn't going to happen this year. Lots of reasons why but mostly because we are focusing on improving our house instead of traveling.

4. Save $2000 for house updates. I need to put $154 into the account every other paycheck (13 times) to make my goal. Still no savings.... ugh I was really excited until I saw my credit card statement. $1900/$2000 ($550 is from Christmas gifts)

5. Save $1000 towards a new car. I have an automatic draft set up for $50 every month to go into my car savings account. No extra, just the automated $50 was saved. But I decided to not take money from this account to pay the taxes and tags bill. $657/$1000

6. Add 3 chicks to my flock. They took one step forward and entered the coop on their own through the proper door and then they took two steps back and were on top of the coop the next two nights. I've been trying to be out there at dust to supervise and encourage them to stay off the roof and go in the door.

7. Cut back my food budget to $325/month ($3900/year). Every bit of $150 was spent the last two weeks. I had a credit to Blue Apron so I used that and will have 3 meals this week for $6!  $1200/$3900

8. No buying personal clothing and other items other than the following few items. $223/$300
I think I replaces clothing and personal items with house plants.... I bought a fiddle leaf fig, along with a cute basket and a prayer plant and new pot. I don't mind buying these things but I need to keep the amount spent to a maximum of $50/month. I also don't want the house to look like a jungle.
I've also realized I don't have any tank tops for the summer. I may use my extra money to buy 1 or 2 shirts but I will make sure they are a good deal.
Here are my estimates on the cost of the items I plan on buying in 2018 and what I really spent:
Hiking shoes $90 $73
Running shoes $60  $30
Mascara $10 $5
Bra $30 $68
Undies $20 $9
Haircuts $90 $18 so far
Work pants $0 $20

9. Complete a third round of Whole30. About that...... I keep going back and forth. I need to go mostly Whole30 and cut out the late night milk and cookies. It's really adding to my waist line.

10. Have a better, more efficient garden. I have been using a big leaf of Swiss Chard in our daily smoothies and giving the chickens 2-3 leaves a day to snack on. It's crazy how fast it grows! The chipmunks have found the strawberries and are eating them unripe! I used some turnips in last nights dinner. I am really trying to use what we grow. I need to use the snap peas for something. I don't really care for the pods though.

11. Sell excess produce, honey and eggs at my neighborhood farmers market. We don't have an excess to sell right now. My two 4 year old hens have stopped laying and my 3 year old lays every other day. The 3 pullets are 13 weeks old and will start laying in 1-2 months.

12. Be a better beekeeper. I still haven't checked on the hive. It's probably a mess in there.

13. Finish a craft project. COMPLETE! Let's see if I can do some more.

I darned one sock.
I sewed a bandanna for my pup Ellie. Then I made a second one for my mom's dog.
I patched a hole in a Smartwool sock that Ellie chewed when she was a pup. 
Painted a mirror with chalk paint. It wasn't smelly at all!

Comments

Popular Posts