2018 Goals

I tried to make goals that were fun, realistic and some that will challenge me. I plan to update my progress every Monday. I set these goals last week so my next post will be an update on the first week.

1. Complete 30 days of yoga. I am following YouTube channel Yoga with Adriene to complete this goal. True 30 day yoga journey

2. Read 20 books. Last year my goal was 12 and I read 20 so I wanted to keep pace. I use Goodreads.com to track what I've read.

3. Visit a national park. I bought a national park annual pass in September when I visited Arches and Canyonlands in Utah. I want to make the $80 purchase well worth it so I hope to visit another park this year.

Image result for national park pass

4. Save $2000 for house updates. We need some energy saving updates done at our home. Windows, attic and crawlspace insulation are on the list.

5. Save $1000 towards a new car. I’m hoping to pay cash for the majority of a new car in 5-10 years. I don't know what I will want then but I do know I want to pay a big chunk of it first thing. After I paid my current car loan off I had big plans to keep paying myself that $200 but fell off the wagon when we bought a house two years ago.

6. Add 3 chicks to my flock. I have 3 hens (ages 3-4) right now and their egg laying has tapered off. I eat eggs everyday and enjoy watching my girls.

7. Cut back my food budget to $300/month. I am only feeding 2 adults why am I spending $400 on food each month? I need to get creative and make cheaper meals. I still want to buy good quality meats and produce. I plan on using only cash to help rein in this ridiculous habit of overspending on food. I don't even know how it happens. Maybe I'll post my weekly meal plans and shopping lists to help keep me on track.

8. No buying personal clothing and other items other than the following few items. I have plenty of clothes, makeup, toiletries, etc. to last a year. I am giving myself $300 to buy a pair of hiking shoes (for work), a pair of running shoes, a tube of mascara, a new bra and 5-ish pairs of undies and for haircuts. I’m hoping to find those items on sale and have some money left over. Here are my estimates on the cost of the items I plan on buying in 2018:
Hiking shoes $90
Running shoes $60
Mascara $10
Bra $30
Undies $20
Haircuts $90 ($15x6)

9. Complete a third round of Whole30. I am thinking about starting this soon once the candy is gone from my house. I am bloated from the holidays and 5 extra pounds makes my clothes so tight and uncomfortable! Not sure I can keep with my food budget while on this diet since you can’t eat rice and beans but I will try my best.

10. Have a better, more efficient garden. I love gardening. I hate weeding. I avoided the weeds by avoiding the garden. My garden was a wreck last year and everyone knew it (I have 4 beds in my front yard!). Since my garden is small I need to maximize space and plan ahead.

11. Sell excess produce, honey and eggs at my neighborhood farmers market. It’s free and way better than all those cukes going in the compost pile. I just need to be motivated enough to wake up early on Saturday.

12. Be a better beekeeper. I need to check in on my hives more often this spring and summer. Every other week should be good.

13. Finish a craft project. I'm really bad about finishing projects. I started a quilt in 2014. I knit (knitted?) one sock in 2015. I'm leaving this goal broad. I can either finish something I started or start something new. I have had some thoughts about repairing some wool socks and clothes, sewing a canvas dog bed and knitting a few dishcloths.


Comments

Popular Posts